CDS helps TfL improve London travel experience
CDS works with TfL to create an award winning new website to assist travel in and around London.
UPDATE: TfL website wins 2 honoree Webby AwardsThe Transport for London website won honoree Webby Awards in 2014 in the categories Government and Best Practices.
UPDATE: TfL website goes live
27 March 2014
The new Transport for London website www.tfl.gov.uk has now gone live. To the best of our knowledge it is the world’s most complex responsive website.
The old site received 20 million visitors every month, which indicates the level of traffic and the challenge the new site faces. While the site was in beta (see original article below) it received over two million visitors. In the first two days after the new website launched on Monday evening, 24 March 2014, it served over 6 million pages in 1 million visits from 900,000 customers.
The video below provides an overview of the fabulous new website, described by eConsultancy as ‘sumptuous’, showing the features and improvements we’ve been working on together with TfL’s internal team and the other project partners, Detica and We Are Experience.
Phil Young, Head of Online at TfL explained the reason behind launching the new website on the TfL blog:
“What people really wanted was a great Journey Planner, maps, live travel information, localised and personalised content – all on their device of choice. We needed to be great at catering for mobiles, tablets, laptops and desktops.”
If you have any questions about the new site there is a really helpful post by Phil Young on the TfL blog.
New features on the website, include the following for those who use the Tube, London Overground, DLR or Tramlink:
- A new ‘Nearby’ feature, which gives you a map of all our services in your vicinity, such as bus stops, Tube stations and river piers as well as live information on departure times
- A more intuitive Journey Planner, which saves recent searches and provides a range of suggested routes with the journey time clearly displayed
Below is our original article with more details about our work, which was first published in October 2013 when the site was still in beta.
CDS helps TfL improve London travel experience
Transport for London (TfL) is working to redevelop its main website (www.tfl.gov.uk) to provide its customers with an improved online user-experience, focused on helping them plan their journeys as easily as possible. The project includes a wide spectrum of TfL personnel and external suppliers, all working towards the common goal of developing a state-of-the-art website.
Some of the key improvements will include:
- a more intuitive Journey Planner that remembers recent journeys making it easier to check regular routes
- single fares information displayed within Journey Planner
- improved mapping and a Street View function in Journey Planner, to help when travelling in unfamiliar areas
- clearer and richer live information about the status of bus, rail and road services, including accidents and traffic hotspots and future planned works
The beta site is now live and previews the updated design and layout, new look Journey Planner and other top level content to give users a feel for the improvements. New features will be added to the site over the summer and up to launch later in the year.
TfL engaged CDS to undertake the technical development of a Content Management System (CMS) that will manage and distribute content on the new website. CDS is working closely with TfL and other suppliers to build the solution and migrate the vast amount of content from the existing site into the new CMS.
CDS is also leading the effort to train TfL staff and share the knowledge that will ensure they have the appropriate expertise for the website’s on-going maintenance.
CDS is proud to be part of the wider TfL team and to have made a significant contribution to the success of this major project which will offer a superior user-experience to many millions of travellers in the nation’s capital.
- Launched 1994
- Part of The Baird Group since 2000
- In the top 100 of the eConsultancy Top 100 digital agencies 2014
- Drum Magazine Top 100 creative agency
- Design Week Top 100 Agency (ranked 14 in the UK)
- 200+ staff and operate out of 9 main UK locations
- Leading partners with EPiServer & MicroStrategy
- Full ITIL Service Desk Support
- Certified ISO standards
- Quality ISO 9001;
- Environment ISO 14001;
- IT Service Management System ISO20000-1: 2011 ;
- Information Security ISO/IEC 27001;
- Health and Safety OHSAS 18001
- Evidential weight & Legal Admissibility of Electronic Information BS10008
Is your print spend under control?
How print management can ease brand dilution in universities and higher education colleges
CDS volunteer at local homeless charity, St George's Crypt
CDS staff recently swapped their day jobs to volunteer at our 2019 corporate charity, St George’s Crypt