Transport for London
CDS worked with Transport for London (TfL) to create an award winning website to assist travel in and around London.
London travellers on route to a much improved online experience
The TfL website won honoree Webby Awards in 2014, in the categories Government and Best Practices.
The previous site received 20 million visitors every month, which indicates the level of traffic and the challenge the new site faced. While the new site was in beta it received over two million visitors. In the first two days after the new website officially launched on Monday evening, 24 March 2014, it served over 6 million pages in 1 million visits from 900,000 customers.
In a video the website was described by eConsultancy as ‘sumptuous’, showing the features and improvements we’ve worked on together with TfL’s internal team and the other project partners, Detica and We Are Experience.
Transport for London (TfL) redeveloped its main website (https://tfl.gov.uk/) to provide its customers with an improved online user-experience, focused on helping them plan their journeys as easily as possible.
The project includes a wide spectrum of TfL personnel and external suppliers, all working towards the common goal of developing a state-of-the-art website.
Some of the key improvements include:
- A more intuitive Journey Planner that remembers recent journeys making it easier to check regular routes
- Single fares information displayed within Journey Planner
- Improved mapping and a Street View function in Journey Planner, to help when travelling in unfamiliar areas
- Clearer and richer live information about the status of bus, rail and road services, including accidents and traffic hotspots and future planned work
New features on the website, include the following for those who use the Tube, London Overground, DLR or Tramlink:
- A new ‘Nearby’ feature, which gives you a map of all our services in your vicinity, such as bus stops, Tube stations and river piers as well as live information on departure times
- A more intuitive Journey Planner, which saves recent searches and provides a range of suggested routes with the journey time clearly displayed
TfL engaged CDS to undertake the technical development of the Content Management System (CMS) that managed and distributed content on the new website. CDS worked closely with TfL and other suppliers to build the solution and migrate the vast amount of content from the old site into the new CMS.
CDS led the effort to train TfL staff and share the knowledge that will ensure they have the appropriate expertise for the website’s on-going maintenance.
CDS is proud to be part of the wider TfL team and to have made a significant contribution to the success of this major project which offers a superior user-experience to many millions of travellers in the nation’s capital.
What people really wanted was a great Journey Planner, maps, live travel information, localised and personalised content – all on their device of choice. We needed to be great at catering for mobiles, tablets, laptops and desktops.
Head of Online at TfL