Find Me Some Government Space
The Government Property Unit (GPU) – part of the Cabinet Office – had a large amount of surplus and under-used office space in many of its properties in London and throughout Great Britain. This was costly and attracting criticism from the Public Accounts Committee. GPU chose CDS, a long-time supplier to the Cabinet Office, to create a web app to offer its excess estate to the public to rent or buy.
Find Me Some Government Space on the GOV.uk website enables the public to browse, for the first time, details of office space they can buy or rent in the government’s surplus or under-used properties.
Essentially, Find Me Some Government Space is similar to homebuyer property search sites like ‘Rightmove’, enabling purchasers and tenants, or just the curious, to browse government office space in the same way that people search for new homes.
CDS Digital developed the application in super quick time as an add-on to the Electronic Property Information Mapping Service (e-PIMS™) platform, itself developed by CDS as the central database of the government’s civil estate.
Find Me Some Government Space is helping to save government money and opening up new opportunities for jobs and growth as new life is breathed into under-used and surplus property.
The next phase of the initiative – Government Space 4 Growth – will enable organisations to use surplus office space at ‘nil cost’.
The Government Property Unit – part of the Cabinet Office – manages the Government’s property estate.
The Government had under-used and surplus office space in many of its properties in London and throughout Great Britain. This was a costly situation, giving rise to criticism from Parliament’s Public Audit Committee.
Building onto an existing e-PIMS™ platform, CDS took just eight weeks to develop an application that enables the public, for the first time, to view surplus government office space that is available to rent or buy. Prospective tenants/buyers could then contact a named person in the relevant government department to arrange to view the property/progress the transaction.
Benefits for the client
- Accelerates delivery of cost savings and sustainability targets.
- Helps departments identify surplus and under-used property assets.
- Creates possibilities for interdepartmental estate rationalisation and co-location.
- Breathes new life into under-used buildings.
- Opens up new opportunities for jobs and growth.
CDS services used in delivering the solution
The solution used a range skills from the CDS Digital team:
- Project management
- UX design
- Graphic design
- Application development
- Testing and release management
We’re making the civil service more efficient and cutting waste; as a result we have properties both owned and rented that we need to do more with. ‘Not only will this website help to save government money but local economies will see new opportunities, jobs and growth as new life is brought into empty and under-used properties.
Minister for Political and Constitutional Reform
Recommended for you:
- Why Public Health Wales chose CDS for their campaigns
- Public Health Wales Screening
- Metropolitan Police go live for new Web platform
- CDS transforms Birmingham City Council's print approach
- Yorkshire Building Society Group colleague magazine
- CDS print management service reduces print costs by 14%
- Resilience Direct: Digital technology that helps save lives
- Helping Zurich Insurance evolve digital strategy
- Delivering a digital workplace for the Met Police
- Aberdeen Asset Management editorial project
- e-PIMS property asset management for the UK government
- Digital mailroom and scanning for Middlesex University
- Delivering digital transformation for Wesleyan
- Transport for London
- eLearning saves lives
- Royal Mail Group chooses Asset Factory
- Unified approach to print brings savings for Essex County Council
- Easy Read for the United Nations International Labour Organisation
- Print and mail cost-savings for London Borough of Sutton
- UKCES Ambition 2020
- CDS delivers OneFinance web platform
- London Olympics 2012
- Wakefield Council
- CDS delivers Thinking Aloud for Aberdeen Asset Management
- Find Me Some Government Space
- Irish Ferries ecommerce website
- Middlesex University's on-campus print solution
- MOD Print Management
- online web2print for Queen's University Belfast
- Targeted communications across multiple channels
- Thames Estuary 2100
- Print Portal and Digital Asset Management for VTCT
- Northamptonshire County Council
- PictoComm accessible communication tool
- West Sussex County Council