UKCES Ambition 2020
CDS was appointed by the UKCES to design and produce the report Towards Ambition 2020.
The UK Commission for Employment and Skills wanted to publish a major report to advise UK Governments on how the UK’s education and skills systems could be simplified, made more effective and become more responsive to the needs of their customers. The report ‘Towards Ambition 2020’ covered their vision for the future of the skills system and made recommendations for meeting the 2020 ambition – to see the UK in the top eight countries in the world in terms of skills, jobs and productivity.
The UK Commission wanted a company that could project manage a complete solution covering everything from consultancy, design and the creation of illustrations to print production. The illustrations were particularly important as they enhanced the report and made it more accessible to a wider audience.
The UK Commission chose CDS because, besides providing a complete solution, we are flexible, take a partnership approach, have resources to ensure resilience and experience in producing high profile reports for the Government.
How the objective was achieved
We met the authors to discuss the report’s content and conduct in-depth analysis of the UK Commission’s plans and recommendations. This helped generate ideas for illustrations.
The design stage involved developing a style of illustration that reflected the content of the report and was consistent with the UK Commission’s brand. We followed our typical partnership approach with the client and quickly responded to their feedback.
The concept that evolved incorporated the new illustrations in the design template pages for the report without detracting from the UK Commission’s brand.
Following design approval by the UK Commission’s Chief Executive we moved quickly to typesetting to meet the project’s tight deadlines.
A dedicated team was assigned to the project to ensure resilience and give our client complete peace of mind.
After the online launch of the report the design team handed over the final artwork to our in-house print management team who advised on choice of paper stock, binding, print process and sourced the market for the best price. This ensured that the UK Commission received value for money from start to finish.
Following the launch of the report in London, CDS was asked to produce additional illustrations to reflect the UK Commission’s plans and ideas and we created a PowerPoint presentation for the UK Commission to use at future events.
The report was well received by the target audience, praised in the media (eg People Management Online 10/11/09) and our client too.
I wanted to record a proper thank you for all the hard work to date on our report – it is one of the most important reports in the skills and employment fields in recent years. CDS played a blinder in getting us across the finish line and thanks are due to all those involved.
Barry Lee-Potter, Head of Corporate Communications
UK Commission for Employment & Skills
Recommended for you:
- MoD print management contract delivers significant savings
- CDS produce Global Strategic Trends report and video for MoD
- Building a powerful, robust, and future proofed website for Tenet Group
- Why Public Health Wales chose CDS for their campaigns
- Public Health Wales Screening
- Metropolitan Police go live for new Web platform
- CDS transforms Birmingham City Council's print approach
- Yorkshire Building Society Group colleague magazine
- CDS print management service reduces print costs by 14%
- Resilience Direct: Digital technology that helps save lives
- Helping Zurich Insurance evolve digital strategy
- Delivering a digital workplace for the Met Police
- Aberdeen Asset Management editorial project
- e-PIMS property asset management for the UK government
- Digital mailroom and scanning for Middlesex University
- Delivering digital transformation for Wesleyan
- Transport for London
- eLearning saves lives
- Royal Mail Group chooses Asset Factory
- Unified approach to print brings savings for Essex County Council
- Easy Read for the United Nations International Labour Organisation
- Print and mail cost-savings for London Borough of Sutton
- UKCES Ambition 2020
- CDS delivers OneFinance web platform
- London Olympics 2012
- Wakefield Council
- CDS delivers Thinking Aloud for Aberdeen Asset Management
- Find Me Some Government Space
- Irish Ferries ecommerce website
- Middlesex University's on-campus print solution
- MOD Print Management
- online web2print for Queen's University Belfast
- Targeted communications across multiple channels
- Thames Estuary 2100
- Print Portal and Digital Asset Management for VTCT
- Northamptonshire County Council
- PictoComm accessible communication tool
- West Sussex County Council